We Are Third Streaming.
EMPOWERED BY ARTISTS. SINCE 2010.
Founded by Yona Backer, Third Streaming Advisory Services (3SAS) has nearly twenty-five years experience working with nonprofit arts institutions and in philanthropy with a specialization in artist and artist-centered institutions. Backer has a compelling track record of providing strategic guidance and implementation plans, assessing and designing programs, coaching nonprofit leaders and managing complex planning efforts to affect change and meet mutually agreed upon goals.
Backer has developed a uniquely, global perspective in her philanthropic practice. Her approach is collaborative, practical and hands-on, and rooted in an in-depth understanding and knowledge of the arts and culture fields. To address shifts in funding practices in an increasingly global economy, she works with funders and organizations to increase visibility, streamline practices and identify practical, integrated solutions, which are realistic to achieve. 3SAS also works with individual artists to develop, design and create their own foundations including grantmaking and other programs.
Our clients have ranged across arts, social justice and education organizations including some of the most highly esteemed philanthropic and nonprofit arts institutions in the country. They include: A Blade of Grass, African Film Festival, Art Production Fund, Artis, Creative Capital, Denniston Hill, Independent Curators International, Lambent Foundation, New York Community Trust, Protocinema, Residency Unlimited, School of Visual Arts, The Bronx Museum of the Arts, and The Robert Rauschenberg Foundation, among others.
- Crafting strategic initiatives with Executive and Board leadership
- Completing Development Plans
- Leading Board retreats and self-assessments
- Growing client revenues from individual, corporate and foundation donors
- Hiring, training and mentoring staff
- Developing Boards, individual giving groups and exhibition support
- Repositioning and revitalizing benefit events
- Restructuring and rationalizing business activities
- Planning and implementing cultivation events internationally
- Teaching SVA graduate students
- Researching and cultivating potential donors for project support
- Managing grant pipelines and completing successful grant proposals
- High level grant programs assessments and evaluations
- Designing grant programs
- Program development for non profits and foundations
- Legacy Planning and Management
Founder & President, Third Streaming
YONA BACKER is a creative consultant working in the field of contemporary art and philanthropy, and the founder of Third Streaming, an interdisciplinary art space in downtown Manhattan (2010-2014). She has applied her entrepreneurial and management skills to realizing concepts and projects in a wide range of nonprofit environments.
Over her twenty-five year career in the arts, she has been a curator, a program developer for arts and culture spaces, and an experienced grant-maker with a special focus on artist-centered institutions and underexposed groups. She worked for 10 years at The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts before launching Third Streaming LLC. Her clients have ranged across arts, philanthropy and education organizations. Backer brings significant depth of knowledge across multiple issues and geographic areas in philanthropic giving and nonprofit management that directly matches the interest of her clients. Her team-based approach stresses creativity, effectiveness, efficiency, customization, and confidentiality. She has a BA in Art History and History from Hunter College, City University of New York; and an MA in Art History and Archaeology from Columbia University. In 2018, Backer received her certificate from the Aspen Institute's Artist-Endowed Foundations Initiative (AEFI).
Our Office —
19 Delavan Street, Unit 2Q
Brooklyn, NY 11231